Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ponies and Myers-Briggs  (Read 37968 times)

Kitsune Cavalry

• Global Moderator
  • Pow pow come at me
    • View Profile
Ponies and Myers-Briggs
« on: February 29, 2012, 03:24:50 PM »

So I decided that for fun I would try to analyze the Mane 6 personalities using the Myers-Briggs personality measures. I thought about how each of the Mane 6 interacted with each other and I appreciate so much more how diverse each of the characters are. It may not be a perfect match, and I still don't know that much about psychology, but I had fun and youuu can't stop meeeeeeee

Breakdown and Ranking:

Interaction (with self, others, and world)
Introversion-- FL TS AJ -- RR RD PP --Extroversion

Information (gathering and analyzing)
Sensing-- TS RR FL -- RD AJ PP --Intuition

Decisions (making, empathizing vs. logic)
Thinking -- TS RD RR -- FL AJ PP -- Feeling

Worldview (Dominant and shadow functions)
Judging -- TS RD PP -- RR FL AJ -- Perception

Overall:

Applejack: INFP
Reasoning: Generally cool headed, family-oriented, strong moral code, natural empathy with others
~Can become strong-headed and unwilling to accept help from others due to their self-sacrificing nature and own set of values and work ethics (Applebuck Season)
~Contrast Information with Rarity (Look Before You Sleep)
~Contrast Decisions with Rainbow Dash (Fall Weather Friends et. al.)

Fluttershy: ISFP
Reasoning: Can be over-accepting, strong willingness to trust, can be taken advantage of at times, can be self-deprecating
~Strong empathy, quiet nature, need to help others
~Contrast with Rainbow Dash on everything
~Compare Decisions with Rarity (Green is Not Your Color, Stare Master)

Pinkie Pie: ENFJ
Reasoning: Optimistic social interactions, tries to encourage the best in others, bubbly and intuits most information, often from experiences
~Bottled and intensified negative emotions when they show, often affecting physical condition (Party of One, NO PONY BREAKS A PINKIE PROMISE, MAKE IT STOPPPP, et. al.)
~Contrast Decisions with Rainbow Dash (Griffon the Brush Off)
~Contrast Information, Judgment with Twilight Sparkle (Feeling Pinkie Keen)

Rainbow Dash: ENTJ
Reasoning: Likes being in charge, need to achieve, may tend to ignore own and others' feelings, likes to get straight to the point
~Strong fear of failure and rejection (Sonic Rainboom)
~See above for compare/contrast

Rarity: ESTP
Reasoning: Sophisticated and charming, resourceful, exaggerated emotions and often causes scenes
~Contrast Worldview with Twilight Sparkle (quick! before she decides to dye my mane a new color!)
~Holy crap Rarity is really hard to read into...

Twilight Sparkle: ISTJ
Reasoning: Wants organization and sturcture, can become overly focused on details, rigid beliefs
~Stress from failure of what is "necessary" for acceptance and natural duty can be paralyzing (The Ticket Master, Lesson Zero, etc.)

-----

Thoughts? Feedback? Questions? If you got through that wall of text, cool beans to you.

EDIT(S):
In Decisions scale, swapping RD with RR and AJ with FL
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 01:06:40 PM by Kitsune Cavalry »

"If economists could manage to get themselves thought of as humble, competent ponies on a level with

mailmares, that would be splendid." -John Neighnard Keynes

DEADcreatorGX

• View Profile
Re: Ponies and Myers-Briggs
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 03:35:50 PM »

you are wrong,twilight sparkle is INTP,applejack is ESTJ,rainbow dash is ESTP,pinkie pie is ENFP and rarity is ENFJ.

Kitsune Cavalry

• Global Moderator
  • Pow pow come at me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 05:30:48 PM »

you are wrong,twilight sparkle is INTP,applejack is ESTJ,rainbow dash is ESTP,pinkie pie is ENFP and rarity is ENFJ.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

While this certainly is interesting, I'm not taking it at face value. A lot of the characterizations given in your chart I feel could fit better somewhere else. Of course psychology can be a bit subjective, but I think my views remain unchanged by this chart. I'd rather have tangible examples or explanations of why I'm wrong as opposed to someone else's broad sweeping generalizations (though it was probably researched and watered down a little for the purposes of making a nice table like that).

For Twilight Sparkle, I said she was a J as opposed to P to emphasize her shadow function. Information and Decisions are heavily interrelated with respect to logical processes, so there exists a dominant, auxiliary, tertiary, and inferior(shadow) function, which basically are ideas of what values are the most commonly used by someone. Here a J emphasizes extroverted intuition (EI) as the shadow function as opposed to extroverted feeling. I say this because Twilight Sparkle seems to be extremely straightforward in how she gathers information and how she understands things. Her decisions however, while still heavily reliant on her logic, can be swayed by her friends and she can be convinced to accept things, even if she can't understand it (Feeling Pinkie Keen)

ISTPs also tend to not hold strict goals and rules, and we all know how much Twilight loves her checklists. Their source of conflict often comes from defying authority, whether unintentionally or to release tension that they feel was put on them "unfairly" by rules and regulations. They tend to be more flexible than ISTJs.

So THAT'S my thoughts for Twilight Sparkle.

For Applejack, I will admit that whether she is an E or an I is debatable. She is in general a very moderate pony with few exterme personality leanings. Applejack usually does end up being second pony in command from Twilight Sparkle out of the Mane 6, but I'd argue that that comes from being more tempered and cool than the others. For N vs. F, I again refer to the Rarity-Applejack dynamic from the sleepover on their interpretations of proper social action. For T vs F, I again refer to Rainbow Dash-Applejack, and note that Feelers tend to be more empathic than say the hot headed Rainbow Dash, who quickly analyzes a situation and makes a fast decision. For J vs. P, refer to the dominant/shadow function argument.

For Rainbow Dash, on N vs S, I will argue that her decisions, while she makes her decisions based more on logic than feelings, where she gets her premises from (Information) is probably more based in intuition. Something more naturalistic and quick for her.

Pinkie Pie: For P vs J, you could say that she often overextends herself in terms of responsibility and that she is a P (Baby Cakes). Her overextension as we see can cause physical and mental anxiety, but I'd argue more that she is a J. Her conflicts lead to not a loss of her identity as a person, but rather a dissociation from stressful situations in order to hide the truth from oneself (Party of One supports this strongly). In Party of One, her failure to please her friends and make them happy (source of stress) leads her to go pretty crazy. And there is also the shadow function argument which is still valid.

And last but not least, for Rarity, ENFJ fits her perhaps a bit vaguely. We have seen that she can lose sight of her own interests (Art of the Dress) due to her need to help others, but contradicting this, we see her take on her own interests at the expense of Twilight Sparkle's dress (Sweet and Elite). She still feels bad about it of course, and Rarity is probably the one I had trouble with the most, with her psyche being the most complex (as is fitting for a mare like her I guess : P). However, she can be quite logical in how she gathers information and she tries not to show emotion, though when it comes out it is very strong (Sisterhooves Social, her and Sweetie Belle). Again, the dynamic between Applejack and Rarity and how they make decisions on dealing with people contrast nicely in this episode. ENFJ is also uncomfortably close to Pinkie's personality in your given chart (and an exact match in my book) and I doubt many would say that Rarity is just a milder version of Pinkie Pie. Or maybe you would. But I wouldn't.

Hope this cleared things up a little and clarifies my justifications a little more.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 05:34:06 PM by Kitsune Cavalry »

"If economists could manage to get themselves thought of as humble, competent ponies on a level with

deathsheir

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 10:09:31 AM »

Can someone explain this thing to me a little please?

Kitsune Cavalry

• Global Moderator
  • Pow pow come at me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 01:03:52 PM »

Can someone explain this thing to me a little please?

So I guess the Meyers-Briggs personality scales are an extension off of Carl Jung's work on psychology. They tried to categorize people using four measures and then determine what people with certain combinations of measures would be like. It was originally used to study compatibility between people and also study which jobs a person might be good at.

The first measure is pretty important, and I'm a little off when I say that it measures how people like to interact with each other. I'd say more that it measures the attitudes a person shows. A person who is more extroverted prefers having a wide range of knowledge, frequent interactions with people, and getting their mental energy from hanging out with people. An introvert prefers a deeper range of knowledge, longer interactions with people, and getting their energy from spending time alone. Extroverts are action oriented as opposed to thought oriented.

So the first measure is important since that sets up the basis for understanding the other three measures. The next two measures are interrelated heavily, measuring how a person goes about understanding the world. There is the sensing vs. intuition measure, which tries to determine how a person gathers information and looks at it. The thinking vs feeling measure tries to measure how a person makes decisions.

The last measure is judging vs perceiving and tries to measure which of the previous two measures the person prefers to use in order to understand the world. Does a person value being able to make a sure decision (judging) or is there more value in being able to create a clear basis of knowledge (perceiving).

It's kinda weird and I didn't understand it at first, but I got it after a while. Hope this helps.

deathsheir

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 02:24:07 PM »

So I guess the Meyers-Briggs personality scales are an extension off of Carl Jung's work on psychology. They tried to categorize people using four measures and then determine what people with certain combinations of measures would be like. It was originally used to study compatibility between people and also study which jobs a person might be good at.

Okay, you explained it. Now let me break myself down, using the knowledge my friends gave me, and find out why my friends have difficulty agreeing where I am in this thing.

The first measure is pretty important, and I'm a little off when I say that it measures how people like to interact with each other. I'd say more that it measures the attitudes a person shows. A person who is more extroverted prefers having a wide range of knowledge, frequent interactions with people, and getting their mental energy from hanging out with people. An introvert prefers a deeper range of knowledge, longer interactions with people, and getting their energy from spending time alone. Extroverts are action oriented as opposed to thought oriented.

Extroverts: Action Oriented, rely Social life
Introverts: Thought Oriented, Being alone

Okay those two describes me very well. Sometimes I forgo what reaction would be caused by my action while other times i actually think things through. I love my social life, and I have many friends who agrees, while there are many times where I just want to be left alone. Being alone sometimes help calm me down, and help collect my thoughts, while other times being with my friends does the exact samething. It all depends on my mood, and it's usually broken down like this:

Week 1: Happy, hanging with friends, Extroverted
Week 2: Same as 1
Week 3: Want to be alone, can't stand my friends, introverted
Week 4: same as 3

You can swap those any way you want, and that's how an average month works out for me. But going to both sides of the extreme it sometimes happens like this

Week 1: Extroverted/Intorverted (either or)
Week 2: same
Week 3: same
Week 4: same

or

week 1: introverted (swap with two and you'll get a different month)
week 2: Extroverted (swap with one and you'll get a different month)
week 3: same as 2
week 4 same

And this is coming from one of my friends who doesn't care about this kind of stuff.

so with that information where would that put me?

So the first measure is important since that sets up the basis for understanding the other three measures. The next two measures are interrelated heavily, measuring how a person goes about understanding the world. There is the sensing vs. intuition measure, which tries to determine how a person gathers information and looks at it. The thinking vs feeling measure tries to measure how a person makes decisions.

Sensing vs. intuition

Probably the only thing my friends agrees on is this: "I love analyzing knowledge more than anything..." But in retrospec you can't analyze something you don't have, which means I must first gather said information... and I also can't analyze it without knowing how other people look at this same piece of information I have gathered, that way I can analyze it from their perspective, and from mine to see how they compare. So I look at all angles before deciding how I will view this same piece of information...

Where would that put me?

As for decision making, me, it depends on the situation. There are times where it requires to be thought out, and I just go jumping in guns ablazing, and there are times where it is best to just jump right on in where I actually thinking it out first. There are times wheer i do think about the situation that requires thought, and times where I jump right on in where it is best. If a situation calls for empathizing, I'll empathize with them, especially if I can sympathize with them... And there are times where i think about the situation before empathizing with someone... weird huh?

How would that place me?

The last measure is judging vs perceiving and tries to measure which of the previous two measures the person prefers to use in order to understand the world. Does a person value being able to make a sure decision (judging) or is there more value in being able to create a clear basis of knowledge (perceiving).

Being able to make a sure decision is sometimes required, but a clear basis of knowledge is all that is needed to get through life and feel like you accomplished something. I can make sure decisions with ease, where others I'm fine with the basis of knowledge. For example, my mom and her horses. She talks about them almost all the time, I just tune her out and not really care. But if information deals with wolves, I'm listening to see how different your inforamtion is to mine, and I'll analyze and througholy(spelling?) before jumping to conclusions. Horses I don't care about being absolutely sure with what I have, but wolves I want to make sure none of my information is outdated, or incorrect.

So... where does that put me on that sense?

Kitsune Cavalry

• Global Moderator
  • Pow pow come at me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 03:48:42 PM »

Hmm, you seem to be having the same problem I had when I tried to test myself. The 4 measures try to find a leaning towards each of the sides, and if you feel moderate on a scale, it can be hard to place yourself. 'm not sure how much help I can give, especially since I only know you on the forum, but I'll do my best.

An introvert, as I think I am, may enjoy hanging out with friends and spending time alone, but the key is where I find energy from. I find myself drained after spending time with friends, as much as I enjoy it. Maybe I'm not drained completely and all in one day, but it happens. An extrovert likewise may understand the importance of self-reflection, but will ultimately seek out people.

From how you described your feelings, you say you like hanging out with friends, but then need time to be alone. So I'd say you have a mild introvert leaning.

Your friends clearly agree that you love to analyze knowledge eh? In that case, sensing seems to be the more dominant trait. You recognize the importance of other people's views and of debate, but in the end it comes down to how you interpret the facts. You're a very logical, analytical thinker from what I can tell, even if it comes off as abstract. I'd definitely say sensing.

There was a statement related to the next measure that particularly caught me. You think before you empathize with someone. Again, your logical thinking comes into play on how you make decisions, and there's a strong relation between this measure and your previous one. I'd say you're a thinking type.

And finally, your friends seem to have a consensus that you love analyzing facts, and from what I can see you take in facts and like concrete answers. I'd say you value your perception function a lot, and thus value sensing over thinking. Perceivers value creativity and spontaneity over rigid plans and deadlines, so if that seems to describe you, all the more to support my thoughts.

My guess for deathsheir's type: ISTP

ISTPs are surprisingly action oriented--but only when there are big problems. They tend to value privacy and react strongly to too many restricitons. I'm not sure how well this describes you, but that's my best guess as to your Myers-Briggs. If you'd like to take a test to find your type, you can try it here:

http://www.personalitytest.net/cgi-bin/q.pl
or
http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/jtypes2.asp

Though I prefer the first test more. If you take it, I'd be interested to hear how little I understand you : P

P.S. I personally see myself as INFP, kind of a more moderate version of Applejack (!)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 04:17:16 PM by Kitsune Cavalry »

ThatCanadianDude

• Developer
  • A Man of Fragmented Sanity and Harddrives
    • View Profile
    • ThatCanadianDude on YouTube
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 04:19:38 PM »

INTP: The Architect. Great precision in thought and language. Can readily discern contradictions and inconsistencies. They are good at logic and math and make good philosophers and theoretical scientists. 1% of the total population.

These seem kinda vauge, if you ask me. Personally, from what I know of myself, I always considered myself a INFJ, mostly cause I tend to act on my feelings and instincts rather than honest thinking while simultaniously being very critical of things.

Kitsune Cavalry

• Global Moderator
  • Pow pow come at me
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 04:27:02 PM »

INTP: The Architect. Great precision in thought and language. Can readily discern contradictions and inconsistencies. They are good at logic and math and make good philosophers and theoretical scientists. 1% of the total population.

These seem kinda vauge, if you ask me. Personally, from what I know of myself, I always considered myself a INFJ, mostly cause I tend to act on my feelings and instincts rather than honest thinking while simultaniously being very critical of things.

There are extended desriptions for each type. Here's the main page with all the short descriptors:
http://www.personalitytest.net/types/descriptions/index.htm

Here's your page:
http://www.personalitytest.net/types/descriptions/intp.htm

ThatCanadianDude

• Developer
  • A Man of Fragmented Sanity and Harddrives
    • View Profile
    • ThatCanadianDude on YouTube
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2012, 04:32:12 PM »

There are extended desriptions for each type. Here's the main page with all the short descriptors:
http://www.personalitytest.net/types/descriptions/index.htm

Here's your page:
http://www.personalitytest.net/types/descriptions/intp.htm

... OK, reading that does make it seem a little more accurate, to be sure.

Though I personally don't think anyone has created a personality test for someone who's introverted, yet enjoys performing.

deathsheir

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2012, 06:42:41 PM »

An introvert, as I think I am, may enjoy hanging out with friends and spending time alone, but the key is where I find energy from. I find myself drained after spending time with friends, as much as I enjoy it. Maybe I'm not drained completely and all in one day, but it happens. An extrovert likewise may understand the importance of self-reflection, but will ultimately seek out people.

From how you described your feelings, you say you like hanging out with friends, but then need time to be alone. So I'd say you have a mild introvert leaning.

Problem, on some days I get energy from my friends, and on others i feel dead after hanging out with them.

Your friends clearly agree that you love to analyze knowledge eh? In that case, sensing seems to be the more dominant trait. You recognize the importance of other people's views and of debate, but in the end it comes down to how you interpret the facts. You're a very logical, analytical thinker from what I can tell, even if it comes off as abstract. I'd definitely say sensing.

That makes sense...

There was a statement related to the next measure that particularly caught me. You think before you empathize with someone. Again, your logical thinking comes into play on how you make decisions, and there's a strong relation between this measure and your previous one. I'd say you're a thinking type.

You ignore the rest, only sometimes i think before doing so. Other times i just jump right on in... the whole decision making thing depends on my mood, and I'm bipolar...

And finally, your friends seem to have a consensus that you love analyzing facts, and from what I can see you take in facts and like concrete answers. I'd say you value your perception function a lot, and thus value sensing over thinking. Perceivers value creativity and spontaneity over rigid plans and deadlines, so if that seems to describe you, all the more to support my thoughts.

Makes sense...

http://www.personalitytest.net/cgi-bin/q.pl
or
http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/jtypes2.asp

Though I prefer the first test more. If you take it, I'd be interested to hear how little I understand you : P

Tests are always fun because they always place me wrong anyways  :happy:

Suraht

• View Profile
    • My YouTube channel!
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2012, 10:21:51 PM »

It's been a while since I've taken a Myers-Briggs.  It's interesting to see how I change over time.

Last time I took this, I believe I was ISTJ.  Now, though, I'm ISFJ.  Or, in ponies, from Big Mac to Sweetie Belle.
I do Let's Plays, and I sing karaoke tracks.  Often poorly, in both cases.

Sind

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2012, 02:23:41 PM »

Last time I took a test like this, I got INTJ
This time, I took both of those tests, and the first one gave me ENTP, while the later gave me INTJ again

looking at the general stats, I think the worldview is where I'm most in the middle, between judging and perceiving. Decisions is the most certain one, in which I'm definitely thinking. Interaction is slightly harder to set, though I do consider myself introverted. Information is definitely the hardest one for me to choose. Even though both tests marked me as intuitive, this is the one that changes the most. I think I'm simply very intuitive as well as sensing, at the same time =/

Evilbob

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2014, 09:12:23 PM »

ISTPs also tend to not hold strict goals and rules, and we all know how much Twilight loves her checklists. Their source of conflict often comes from defying authority, whether unintentionally or to release tension that they feel was put on them "unfairly" by rules and regulations. They tend to be more flexible than ISTJs.

So THAT'S my thoughts for Twilight Sparkle.

Yeah, that chart is wrong. TS is definitely ISTJ.

Hmm, you seem to be having the same problem I had when I tried to test myself. The 4 measures try to find a leaning towards each of the sides, and if you feel moderate on a scale, it can be hard to place yourself.
I have to say, I think that's a problem that's commonly encountered. I feel like arguing that personality is a product of innate tendencies as well as societal pressures; there's probably social forces keeping one in moderation anyway...

I really hate my "ISTJ" result, even though both www.humanmetrics.com and kisa.ca say so. Oh well. Seeing as the scores are all "slight" or "50%-ish", respectively, it seems I'm likely to totter over at any time...

Elfie

• Robin Is My Special Somepony!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2014, 11:36:50 PM »

I'm between an INFP and an INFJ.  My P and J are only a few percentages more than the other depending on what day I take the test, and which test I take.  Though I think I really lean more towards an INFP.  Though I am capable of making a logical argument even when upset unlike most INFP's.  But I'll usually try to back out of a heated confrontation before I get too upset like an INFP.  I can also be incredibly detail oriented unlike many INFP's.  But I can also see myself throwing that out the window to look at the big picture.   :idunno:
Pages: [1] 2